Son Heung-min: Jose Mourinho expects Tottenham forward to miss rest of season

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
February 19, 2020
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
    Scroll to Top

    Media playback is not supported on this device

    ‘The stairs broke’ – Mourinho’s strange reaction to Son’s injury

    Tottenham Hotspur boss Jose Mourinho does not expect Son Heung-min to play again this season and says the club’s injury situation “couldn’t be worse”.

    South Korea forward Son, 27, will have surgery this week after fracturing his arm during Sunday’s 3-2 win at Aston Villa, in which he scored twice.

    Tottenham are already without England striker Harry Kane who tore his hamstring at Southampton in January.

    “I’m not going to count on him again this season,” said Mourinho.

    Earlier on Tuesday, a Spurs statement said Son – who has scored in his past five matches for the club – would be sidelined for “a number of weeks” with the injury.

    Mourinho added: “If he plays two or three games then it’s because he [Tottenham’s press officer] is very optimistic, and I hope he is right. But, in my mind, I’m not thinking about that.

    “We are going to miss him. The club wrote a nice statement. If I was the one to write the statement, I would write different.”

    Son’s absence means 27-year-old Brazilian Lucas Moura, 22-year-old Dutchman Steven Bergwijn, signed in January, and Republic of Ireland international Troy Parrott are Tottenham’s only fit forwards, though Mourinho believes 18-year-old Parrott “is not ready” to play at senior level.

    “The situation couldn’t be worse. That is obvious,” added the Portuguese. “There is nothing we can do. We are going to play with the players we have available.

    “I was worried about not having attacking options on the bench, now I don’t have attacking options on the pitch.

    “My thoughts are that Troy Parrott is not ready and [19-year-old English winger] Ryan Sessegnon is not a striker.

    “No strikers, no market. Nothing. The only help we can have is our crowd, the Tottenham supporters. That is the only thing I ask because to the players I cannot ask more than what they are giving.”

    Mourinho did joke he could move for retired former Spurs and England striker Peter Crouch, with the 39-year-old responding on Twitter by saying: “I’m ready Jose.”

    Crouch tweet

    Peter Crouch retired at the end of last season after finishing his career at Burnley

    Source

    Football
    Covid-19: Arsenal trio affected before Man City game

    Arsenal have lost both matches they have played since the Premier League resumed last week Three Arsenal players were unable to train in the build-up …

    Football
    Jan Vertonghen: Tottenham defender signs extension until end of season

    Jan Vertonghen has made 228 Premier League appearances for Tottenham Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen has signed a contract extension until the end of the season. …

    Football
    Man City: Pep Guardiola has ‘ideas for the transfer market’ and expects to ‘fight’ for title next season

    City are 23 points behind leaders Liverpool Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he has “ideas for the transfer market” and expects to “fight” for …

    Subscribe
    Notify of
    guest
    0 Comments
    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments
    February 19, 2020
      Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
      Scroll to Top
      • Bookmakers Bonus
      Fonbet

      Registration bonus up to 250 Euro!

      Winmasters
      Parimatch
      0
      Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
      ()
      x
      This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.