The coronavirus outbreak has cleared the English football calendar indefinitely, leaving clubs up and down the country with difficult decisions to make as their cashflow dries up.
One of the toughest decisions is what to do about paying players and non-playing staff.
Politicians, the Premier League, the Professional Footballers’ Association and some players have all spoken publicly on the issue in the last few days…
Several clubs have chosen to furlough some staff so far. Here is a round-up of what Premier League clubs have announced regarding pay so far…
The Gunners will pay all their casual workers to the end of April, with a promise to review the situation if the football authorities delay the resumption of the season further.
Bournemouth are using the government’s furlough scheme, placing “a number of staff” on paid leave while public funds cover 80% of their wages up to £2,500 a month. Bournemouth will top up the rest to ensure none of their staff lose out financially.
Manager Eddie Howe, assistant boss Jason Tindall, chief executive Neill Blake and technical director Richard Hughes have also taken “significant” voluntary pay cuts amid the crisis – Howe being the first Premier League boss to do so.
Brighton head coach Graham Potter, deputy chairman and chief executive Paul Barber and technical director Dan Ashworth have each taken a “significant” voluntary pay cut for the next three months.
Barber has written to staff to warn that there “may be rougher seas ahead” but reassured them that “all our people, and their families, remain our priority” and has said the club have not made a decision on furloughing yet.
Staff affected will receive 80% of their salary through the government’s job retention scheme and the club will make up the difference.
Burnley have promised to continue to pay all matchday and non-matchday casual staff during the current shutdown.
Chairman Steve Parish promised on 18 March that all employees will receive full pay during the coronavirus outbreak and that matchday staff would not lose out as a result of the suspension of the season.
Everton have said they have no plans to use the furlough system at this time. But the matter remains under review and may depend on how long current situation lasts.
Liverpool have reversed their decision to place some non-playing staff on temporary leave and apologised to fans.
Staff affected would have received 80% of their salary through the government’s job retention scheme with the club making up the difference, but the club changed their position after a fierce backlash.
Manchester City will pay their entire non-playing staff in full and have confirmed they will not make use of the government’s job retention scheme.
“We remain determined to protect our people, their jobs and our business while at the same time doing what we can to support our wider community at this most challenging time for everybody,” said City in a statement.
Manchester United have told staff members the club will not be using the government’s job retention scheme.
The club sent an email to all 900 full-time employees telling them they would carry on being paid as normal.
Newcastle United were the first Premier League club to place their non-playing staff on temporary leave.
The government will therefore subsidise 80% of workers’ pay, but the club will top-up the remaining 20% (and more if it is above the maximum £2,500 a month allowed by the government) to ensure that staff will receive 100% of their pay. The decision will then be reviewed at the end of April.
Norwich have also made use of the government’s job retention scheme, with the club topping up the 80% pay so that staff will receive their full salary.
The club have also donated more than £200,000 to help those in need in Norfolk, made up of the playing squad, coaching staff and executive team donating a percentage of their salaries.
All 550 non-playing staff at Tottenham are taking a 20% pay cut, initially for two months.
Chairman Daniel Levy, who earned £7m last year, is one of those to give up a fifth of their earnings and has called on Premier League players to “do their bit for the football eco-system”.
Continuing to pay all staff members with no current plans to use the furlough scheme.
All staff are being paid their full salaries and working from home, while their casual and matchday employees are also being paid as normal. The club are also supporting requests from employees who wish to volunteer for the NHS.
Manager David Moyes has told the Premier League he is willing to take a pay cut.
No staff are being furloughed with Wolves chairman Jeff Shi previously vowing that “all of our staff will of course continue to be paid for the duration of the club’s closure and this period of uncertainty”.
The remaining clubs may have announced donations or schemes to help the local community and the NHS but have yet to publicly announced what they are doing about pay.