Ian Wright ‘fighting’ after racist messages sent to him on social media

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
May 12, 2020
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
    Scroll to Top

    Ian Wright curls home a shot for Arenal

    Ian Wright was Arsenal’s record goalscorer with 185 until he was surpassed by Thierry Henry

    Former Arsenal and England striker Ian Wright says he is “fighting this all the way” after being sent “humiliating” and “dehumanising” racist abuse on social media.

    Wright, 56, tweeted a series of screengrabs of the offensive messages he received from a person on Instagram.

    Wright told the No Signal radio station it was up to social media platforms to act because “you can’t let people get away with it”.

    “It’s wrong in every way,” he said.

    Match of the Day pundit Wright, who won 33 caps for England, initially said “these messages still hit me so hard”.

    Speaking to No Signal later on Monday, he added: “There has to be some form of consequence.

    “I’ve got a platform where I can reach people. This is happening to people on a daily basis where they can’t do what I did – that’s why I had to call this guy out.

    “We’re dealing with people that need to hide. Platforms like Instagram and Twitter are where they can hide but, what they haven’t understood and what that guy will have realised today is, it’s not my platform – it’s everybody who has come in on him. Something has to be done.

    “He was relentless with it as well.”

    Wright, who has previously highlighted the role of social media as a vehicle for racism, added: “I don’t want this happening to my kids.

    “I’m fighting this one all the way.”

    Former Aston Villa forward Gabriel Agbonlahor was also sent an abusive and racist message on Instagram, and Kick It Out called for those who targeted him and Wright to be punished.

    “We are appalled during this very trying time by the disgraceful abuse directed at Ian Wright and Gabriel Agbonlahor and their families,” a statement read.

    Former Tottenham and England striker Darren Bent called the messages sent to Wright “disgusting” and a “disgrace”.

    Bent added: “The sad thing is, is that this is an everyday occurrence, yet these idiots are allowed to daily become keyboard warriors and face no punishment.”

    Source

    Football
    Covid-19: Arsenal trio affected before Man City game

    Arsenal have lost both matches they have played since the Premier League resumed last week Three Arsenal players were unable to train in the build-up …

    Football
    Jan Vertonghen: Tottenham defender signs extension until end of season

    Jan Vertonghen has made 228 Premier League appearances for Tottenham Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen has signed a contract extension until the end of the season. …

    Football
    Man City: Pep Guardiola has ‘ideas for the transfer market’ and expects to ‘fight’ for title next season

    City are 23 points behind leaders Liverpool Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he has “ideas for the transfer market” and expects to “fight” for …

    Subscribe
    Notify of
    guest
    0 Comments
    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments
    May 12, 2020
      Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
      Scroll to Top
      • Bookmakers Bonus
      Fonbet

      Registration bonus up to 250 Euro!

      Winmasters
      Parimatch
      0
      Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
      ()
      x
      This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.