Coronavirus and sport: Chelsea’s first-team squad will not take pay cut

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
April 27, 2020
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
    Scroll to Top

    Chelsea players

    Chelsea players have been supporting various charities during the pandemic

    Chelsea’s first-team players will not be taking a pay cut to contribute to the club during the coronavirus pandemic, but will “focus on further supporting other charitable causes”.

    It had been reported that the men’s team would take a 10% cut this month.

    But a statement on the club website said “extensive talks” had been held to discuss how the team could contribute.

    The Chelsea board have told the players to continue to support charities, including the NHS.

    “At this time, the men’s first team will not be contributing towards the club financially and instead the board have directed the team to focus their efforts,” the statement read.

    “We are grateful to the team for having played their role in assisting the club with community activities as well as all the charitable causes they have been supporting in their respective home countries and through the Players Together initiative supporting the NHS.”

    Talks will continue between the club and players – who are being represented in the discussions by captain Cesar Azpilicueta.

    The players had offered to take a cut lower than the figure of 10% reported in the media – but the club say there has been no falling-out between the club and players at this stage.

    Chelsea have also confirmed they will not be using the government’s job retention scheme and are paying all staff in full.

    “We are not planning any general redundancies or furloughs for our full-time staff who are continuing to be paid 100% of their current wages,” the statement continued.

    “We are continuing our current level of financial and other support to our professional women players and also to our women’s academy programmes.”

    Arsenal’s first-team players and head coach Mikel Arteta have agreed a 12.5% pay cut, while Liverpool, Tottenham and Bournemouth reversed their decisions to furlough staff.

    Newcastle United were the first Premier League club to place their non-playing staff on temporary leave and Norwich have also put staff on the job retention scheme.

    Chelsea have also outlined that they will credit season ticket holders for any games played behind closed doors for the remainder of the season and reimburse those who had booked non-refundable travel to the postponed Champions League tie at Bayern Munich last month.

    Source

    Football
    Covid-19: Arsenal trio affected before Man City game

    Arsenal have lost both matches they have played since the Premier League resumed last week Three Arsenal players were unable to train in the build-up …

    Football
    Jan Vertonghen: Tottenham defender signs extension until end of season

    Jan Vertonghen has made 228 Premier League appearances for Tottenham Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen has signed a contract extension until the end of the season. …

    Football
    Man City: Pep Guardiola has ‘ideas for the transfer market’ and expects to ‘fight’ for title next season

    City are 23 points behind leaders Liverpool Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he has “ideas for the transfer market” and expects to “fight” for …

    Subscribe
    Notify of
    guest
    0 Comments
    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments
    April 27, 2020
      Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
      Scroll to Top
      • Bookmakers Bonus
      Fonbet

      Registration bonus up to 250 Euro!

      Winmasters
      Parimatch
      0
      Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
      ()
      x
      This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.